what I did on my vacation
Wednesday, August 01, 2007
 

How rich are you?

Find out at the Global Rich List. It's run by an English marketing company with the stated mission of "Teaching the world to burp," so there's no worry about having a guilt trip laid on.

Most people I know land in the same percentile with me. What does it mean? I got to thinking about what it meant to be rich in times past. Being able to acquire a lot of stuff and a nice home has always been a part of it, but having one or more factotums around to do your bidding was the real mark of having arrived. But maintaining servants, and their quarters, and having to provide for their needs presented a real burden for the nobleman. Today we enjoy the benefits without the burden. Grady is waiting on every corner to meet our needs, only to disappear into the crowds once we are finished with him.

"Grady, be a dear and fix me up some lunch. There's a fine man! Here's five for you."

"Bring round the carriage, Grady, I must be in town directly! Here's something for your trouble."

"Tea would be nice about now. And cake! Awfully good of you, Grady. Take this, I insist."

"Grady, here's money enough to pay for gas for the past month. Be so kind as to run to Grady at the bank and have this sent to the account of Grady Gas Works. Be quick about it, here's 41 cents for you!"
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
what I did on my vacation

Archives
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 / 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]