what I did on my vacation
Tuesday, August 07, 2007
 

Modern Library top 100

I have willingly read seven of the Modern Library Top 100 Novels. Six more were pressed upon me by various teachers over the years. And I got through sixty pages of The Golden Bowl before quitting when I ran into this sentence: "He edited for their general economy the play of her mind, just as he edited, savingy, with the stump of a pencil, her redundant telegrams." (By that point I had no idea what the relationships between the characters were. Most of the time I didn't even know who was speaking -- or meditating, more often. The back cover promised some kind of adultery, but if there's a sex scene I can only imagine it's an orgy of dry observations, a ménage à tedium.)

Read for fun:
A Farewell to Arms by Ernest Hemingway
The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Howards End by E. M. Forster
A Portrait Of The Artist As A Young Man by James Joyce

Assigned:
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
Lord Of The Flies by William Golding
Animal Farm by George Orwell
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
1984 by George Orwell
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

From this list, I would be willing to reread at least ten, while I'm disappointed by around half of the books I read that aren't on any fancy lists. Maybe I should take some advice from Random House.
 
Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home
what I did on my vacation

Archives
04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004 / 08/01/2007 - 09/01/2007 /


Powered by Blogger

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]